The Importance of Smiling
Psychologists have studied the effects of smiling and how it benefits the person smiling. The biggest benefits and findings of smiling include:
- An improved, youthful appearance. Studies have shown that participants perceived older adults who were smiling as being younger and those who were frowning as older.
- A slimmer look. In another study, faces with a frown were perceived as being heftier than those with smiles.
- Improves mood and heightens sense of well-being. Smiling produces dopamine, endophorins and serotonin that serve as the body’s mood enhancer and pain reliever. The endophorins produced when smiling also act as the body’s natural opiates. These all come together in your brain to make you feel good.
- Induces pleasure. It has been found in a British study in the book Smile: The Astonishing Powers of a Simple Act, that the pleasure produced by smiling equals the same brain stimulation as 2,000 chocolate bars!
- Makes you appear more confident. People who smile tend to exude more charisma and are more likely to be appointed to leadership positions.
- Makes you appear likeable, competent, trustworthy and courteous. This has significant implications in business and professional development.
- The size of one’s smile can predict one’s life span. A study of baseball players on cards showed those who didn’t smile lived 72 years and those who did smile lived 80 years.
- Smiling is contagious. You don’t have to be a smiling celebrity to make people smile. A smile from anyone is good enough to make the people around them also smile and feel better.
Smiling has been shown to have many benefits for both one’s health, mood and mind. Every smile is beautiful and we want to see you confidently show it off. If you’re personally feeling as if you want to hide your smile, you have options.
Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry
Patients that would like to improve the look of their smile have access to a lot of restorative and cosmetic dental procedures.
A great example of what cosmetic dentistry can do can be seen in the world of celebrities. Procedures such as veneers, crowns, inlays, onlays, tooth contouring, and teeth bleaching are all common cosmetic dental procedures that improve the look of one’s smile.
Cosmetic dentistry, however, isn’t just for celebrities. It is for anyone willing to invest time and resources into beautifying their smile.
Restorative dentistry repairs the proper functionality, strength, size and shape of teeth and gums, which also improves the aesthetics of one’s smile.
Typically, restorative dental procedures are covered in part by dental insurance, making them more affordable to patients. Restorative dental procedures are often encouraged to prevent further, worse dental issues and damage from occurring. Cosmetic dental procedures are purely optional.
Celebrities are not the only ones that can get a beautiful smile nor are they the only ones who can benefit from a smile makeover.
If you’re hiding your smile, it's possible that you're not living the enjoyable, fulfilling life you could be living.
Contact us today at Dental Horizons to schedule an appointment and be on your way to truly living a happy, content, healthy life full of smiles.